Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Any Advice is VERY welcome

It's been a really long time since I last posted and to be perfectly honest it's simply because there really isn't anything of interest to post. All my friends have been taking all these fun trips places and going out of town to visit family. I feel like I haven't done a whole lot this summer. OK. I had a baby. Ha. So, I guess that counts as something. Both Ryan and I would like to go somewhere on a wee trip, but we also both agree that right now we feel like it would be a major headache trying to take the kids somewhere.

On to Jack. I had been a little concerned for a while that he hadn't been trying to talk "properly". I say "properly" because he talks a ton, but it's in his own wee language. He's finally starting to expand his vocabulary and put some words together, but I still wonder if I might need to seek some additional help. The pediatrician wants to give him more time as he's been going through a lot of changes lately, with the new house and brother. I'm pretty sure he'll get there soon enough though.

I love my Jack boy, but he is still very rough with Pete and has started to hit me a lot too. Every time I am nursing Pete he gets mad. In fact, the majority of the time I am holding Pete he is mad. I try really hard to give him as much one on one time as I can when Pete is sleeping or can be put down for a while in his bouncer, but I don't see any improvement in his behavior. He gets "time-outs" and he is NOT learning his lesson by being put there. I feel like I spend most of the day taking him to and from his "time-out" spot. It's pretty obvious he's still having a hard time accepting the fact that he isn't the only child anymore. I feel like I am at my wits end with him...any advice is very welcome.

Here are a few snap shots of Jack being nice to Pete...I cherish these brief moments!




We went to the coast for a few hours with some friends from the ward. Unfortunately, we didn't get the best weather, but Jack still had a fabulous time. He literally dived into the water! Then jumped up, shaking violently because of how cold it was. He wouldn't stay out though. I had to drag him out every once in a while because his lips were turning blue. Crazy kid.

Jack was much more of a "mummy's boy" when he was younger and I guess for the most part he still is, but lately he has really taken to his Daddy. Whenever he hears the garage door opening he yells "Dad!" and runs to the stairs to meet Ryan arriving home...it's very sweet. On the day this pic was taken Jack had to copy EVERY movement Ryan made. I like to see my boy think his Dad is pretty cool...coz he his.
(Side note - Ryan has a new blog....it's link is on my blog list...it's very interesting...you should read it.)

Last but not least, my parents arrive on Monday! I cany wait! I am so excited for them to meet wee Pete...he's my wee darling. I know Jack will have a great time seeing them again too.
Oh, and I almost forgot...I got a calling in our ward. I am the Beehive advisor! I am really excited...I have 11 girls just now and 10 moving in at the beginning of the year...I'm nervous too.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I know how you feel about the whole non-talking thing. REmember Abby has speech therapy (don't think it's a necessity at all but the military kind of pushed it). We've used "Signing Time" videos which are kind of expensive but have really helped. Even though it's teaching about the signs...but it's a lot easier to communicate that way than trying to figure out everything she's gabbing about. Always say the word with the sign and eventually he'll get it. And being really narrative throughout the day, reading books, on walks, etc really has helped. Also being around other kids who do talk may help as well. Sorry you're having trouble with Jack beating on Pete. I have to hold Abby back from loving Bella to death! I think that's better than her beating bella but still it's sad to have to say, quit hugging and kissing you sister!! haha Time outs don't help out with Abby much either. Sometimes if you put favorite objects in time out as well that can help. I think Abby and Jack may have similar temperments maybe--crazy kids! Hope this helps a l ittle but I'm kind of in the same boat as you. HOpe things get better for you soon! You sound really tired and worn out. I wish we could hang out sometime. Maybe next year we should have a girls trip...that sounds like a lot of fun. I know a ton of ladies that do that in various wards with different friends, etc. We'll talk soon...we're all sick including the baby so trying to keep low key...I'll call you sometime next week if we're doing better and if I'm not too upset over my mom leaving...(you know how i get) oh but you're fam will be there. Let me know when's a good time. I miss our chats. Love ya! Good luck!

Lindsey said...

I read your post yesterday and was checking back today to see if anyone had any great advice on taming the older child! We are going through the same thing, although Luke deserves the abuse a bit more now than he used to (taking things from Dallin etc.) I think that you just have to be consistent and keep at it. We go through periods where he is really gentle and we think we are through the hitting phase, and then it starts right back up again. Then it gets good, then we have to work on it some more. So just hang in there! Shoot, there are kids in high school who still get in fights, right? Their mothers must have given up (j/k) We do time outs and objects in time out like Erin said. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I hope you are able to have Jack talking soon! It really makes a bunch of things easier once it starts taking off. A friend of mine had a little girl she was concerned about, but then when she did start she was doing sentences letters and sounds (sometime between 2 and 3). Maybe his speech will just sky rocket here soon. Trust your pediatrician though. My friend has said that it is easier to get help in the 3-5 range before starting kindergarten than to deal with speech therapy when they're in school. Good luck! Hang in there! We're all going through these trying mother days so don't feel alone and always feel you can vent. And enjoy time with your parents! Tell them hello from us and give your boys some extra hugs from me!

Leigh Harris said...

Thanks guys! I really appreciate both of your comments....I just need to be more consistent and I will definitely try the object in "time out". Thanks for listening to me vent!

Erin said...

I wanted to check to see if anyone else had posted anything. I was curious to see what anyone else had said (so maybe I could use it when we go through a similar time :) ) Lindsey made some really good points (some kids never get over fighting or hitting completely!) and I have heard people say that those kids who don't speak a lot at this age just suddenly starts talking in sentences somewhere between 2-4...Oh and I know consistency is hard at this time for you with a baby (it has been hard for us already) so just try your best and hopefully it will work eventually. I even posted something on my facebook a while back and recieved a slew of info from other people so you may get more help that way! Don't get too bogged down though. All we can do is try our best each moment and pray that Heavenly Father supplies the rest! Love you!!!