Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The birth of the twins

On Monday, August 15th, I made my way up to the 2nd floor of the Providence hospital here in Newberg, hoping for some news of progression. I was now visiting my Obgyn every week, having just turned 37 weeks the day before.
After being checked I was only dilated 2 cm, but effaced 80%. I was feeling a little disappointed.
I had been terribly sick at the beginning of this pregnancy like my previous two, but as time had gone on I'd really felt pretty good and stayed very active with the boys throughout the pregnancy. Only in the 8 month did I start to really slow down and try and rest more, but I was still going to the park with the kids right up until the day before I had the babies.
Dr. J had expected the babies to come early. I had too. I'd even had some contractions around 28 weeks that were 5 mins apart that scared me a little into thinking they were going to come really early. But, after resting a wee bit I was fine again and back to regular activities for the most part....I still had 2 wee ones to look after though so I couldn't slow down too much. My mother-in-law had been staying with us since the beginning of July. She too thought the babies would be coming early. Now here I was 37 weeks and the babies were sitting plenty cozy.

My sister-in-law, Rachel, was married in Reno on August 13th. We didn't attend the wedding for fear of the babies arriving. Guess we should have gone. When Liz got back she told us the news that Chris had been offered a job in Wyoming. She would have to leave on the 23rd, a week away. What?! We'd had her there for almost 2 months and now when I was so close to the end she was going to have to leave. She had to go back to Georgia and pack their belongings for the move. This was my main motivation for asking Dr. J right there and then if I could be induced. I knew we would need the extra help at home with the boys and even if she was only there for a few days after I had the babies, it would help tremendously. I had already surpassed the goal in any multiple pregnancy, which is to make it to 35 weeks. Dr. Johnson was ready and willing to admit me later in the week if I wanted. I made the arrangement for Friday the 19th. After my experience of being induced with Jack, I was slightly nervous. But I was confident in my Dr. and the nurses. I'd had such a lovely experience giving birth to Peter in this same hospital. I was fairly uncomfortable and a little bit of a nervous wreck at times as I waited for that Friday morning to arrive. But, at the same time, I was desperate to get things going already...I was so anxious to meet our babies.

We were having a hard time narrowing our name list down that week, we both had a lot of girl names we liked. And although we both didn't mind each others suggestions, it was so difficult finding two names we both really loved. I was getting slightly worried, but before going to bed that night we decided on the name Penelope for one.
I hardly slept Thursday night and woke up around 5am to get showered and ready to leave. I stood at my bedroom mirror and took a few last pics of my enormous belly as I waited for Ryan to get out the shower. I was feeling very emotional at this point and so eager to meet them, but I also started questioning whether or not I should be forcing them out. But, no, it felt like it was time and I knew they had been in long enough for twins. I was tired, and heavy! I'd put on around 40 pounds with this pregnancy!
We left the boys and Liz still sleeping. We arrived at the main desk a few minutes after 6am and were greeted by two happy receptionists. The 'newbee' fumbled around on the computer and couldn't find my registration info, which had me nervous for a minute. But the other lady jumped in to take over and had me seated in a wheelchair within seconds, even though I felt ridiculous being pushed as I was perfectly capable of walking, but she insisted... in a very kind way. All the nurses and staff were ecstatic I was having twins. I was checked in by a nurse that was at the end of her shift, but by 8am, Pam, my new nurse had taken over and I totally and completely loved her. She was actually a visiting nurse from another hospital and was only on shift till 6pm, so I was desperately hoping to have the babies before she left; I like it to be kinda consistent as
far as nurses go when I'm in labour.

The pitocin was started about 9:30am and we did a lot of waiting around for any real progress. Around 1pm the Dr. came back in and although I was able to feel the contractions they were not painful at all. At this point I thought I might try and deliver without any medication. They did a quick ultrasound to check the position of Baby'A'. If she had been breach I would have been taken in for a C-Section, but she was head down. Her hand was up right by her face and the Dr. was scared that if he broke my water her hand would shoot straight up and then we'd have a really big problem. The dosage of pitocin was turned up and Dr. Johnson said he'd come back to break the water soon enough...I hoped her wee hand moved down quickly.
As time went by the contractions where becoming very strong and quite painful. Dr.J returned and checked the ultrasound again briefly. The hand was down and we were ready to break the first "bulging bag" as he called to it. He told Pam to be ready as there was going to be a lot of water. She had not anticipated just how bulging it really was and only hand two small towels. A huge gush, and water was everywhere. Dr. J laughed and said, "I told you!", as Pam panicked that she didn't have nearly enough towels. Ryan was called in and ran to get more towels from the cupboard to help out. I couldn't believe I still had another bag of water in there too, plus two babies, and two placentas!
Dr. J told me that he strongly advised me to have an epidural. 'Baby B' was breach and they would attempt to turn her...of course this was going to be extremely painful. I agreed to have it. The most lovely anesthesiologist came in and told me my spine was crooked! Hope that doesn't become a problem when I'm an old biddy! Anyway, the epidural was done and I was feeling fantastic. I could feel the wave of the contraction, but without the horrific pain. I thought things would maybe slow down now that I had the epidural in, but within less than an hour I suddenly felt the urge to push. Pam had changed into her scrubs to move me to the operating room, and as she entered I told her that I felt like I needed to push. She was shocked and quickly checked me.
She immediately grabbed the phone on her belt and called Dr. J, threw Ryan some scrubs to change into, and began calling on other nurses to help wheel my bed into the operating room. At this point it was 5pm. Nurses flew into the room, Dr.J appeared from nowhere, and I was slightly panicked myself. I was actually quite scared for a minute as I was being wheeled down the hall. As we entered the operating room, at least 8 other people bustled in behind us. Each baby had to have a peditrican there to tend to it immediately after the birth as well as a nurse.
Dr. J needed two nurses there to help him and another Obgyn in case he needed to do an emergency c-section for any reason and then, of course, I had Ryan by my side, as well as Pam. It was busy. But suddenly the chaos calmed right down and I felt fairly relaxed. They moved me quickly to another bed, and got my legs in the largest stirrups I've ever seen! There were bright lights everywhere; it really was a very different experience from the fairly intimate settings I'd had with the boys but I was grateful both myself and the babies were in capable hands.
Everything was ready and I began to push. It was so unbelievably fast. Within moments of pushing I saw the baby in my Dr.'s hands. The adrenaline rush, love, excitement, and a little smigion of fear hit me as I looked at her, this beautiful tiny wee thing that was wrapped in a towel and placed on my chest.
The first thing I exclaimed was , "Ryan! She has Peter's mouth!" I was so in awe of her perfection. (Now moments before we had entered the operating room Ryan and I had finally decided on the name Olive as another name...I really pushed for it and Ryan was kind enough to let me have it.) I knew this was Olive! I kinda just announced that this was her name without talking to Ryan about it! Ha. But he simply said, "oh, ok, Olive she is."
As much as I wanted to just be wheeled out at this point and hold my gorgeous baby, there was another wee one still to come.
The baby was taken from me to be cleaned and checked and I had to refocus. Pam encouraged me to concentrate on the next baby as Ryan went off with Olive for a moment(they were still in the same room as us).
Penelope was breach and initially Dr. Johnson thought he would maybe just go ahead and take her out feet first. But he decided to have me begin pushing and as I did he maneuvered her body around carefully. I was beyond grateful that I could not feel any of this. It was incredible to watch Dr. J and how calm and collected he stayed the entire time. He encouraged me as much as Ryan and Pam. Penny finally turned, but still wasn't descending down very quickly. He tried to get the suction cup on her head, but she wasn't having any of it! Ha. It didn't matter anyway, I gave another final big push and she appeared...looking very much like her big brother, Jack.
She didn't make a peep at first and I began to panic asking Pam repeatedly if she was okay. She assured me she was fine and then Penny erupted; full fledged screaming.
Again, I had an unbelievably perfect baby on my chest and I seriously couldn't believe it was happening...I don't know how many times I exclaimed, "Ah! We're having two babies!"throughout the pregnancy. It was crazy that we finally had them. After a few moments in my arms she was scooped up and taken to be cleaned and reunited with her sister after their 20 mins apart.
The delivery of the placentas was so easy and I even got a look at Penny's because all the nurses and Dr. J couldn't believe the size of it! I honestly do not know how women can carry more than two babies at a time.
A peditrian called Dr. Sweeny was there tending to one of the girls. He is from Boston and was hilarious. He kept saying, "They are beautiful, gorgeous! Ha, look at the size of 'Baby B', she'll knock the socks off of little 'Baby A'!" He was a bit of a nutter, but I really liked him.
I looked across the room to where the babies were being tended and there was Ryan being given one and then the other. Seeing him hold both the babies was so lovely. I'd had them with me for so long and now he was getting a wee shot of them.
After being wheeled back into our private, quite room, the babies were weighed and examined further. Dr. Johnson walked in, knelt by the side of my bed and asked if he could say a quick prayer. It was one of the most lovely prayers I have ever heard, and I so appreciated him thanking Heavenly Father that it had all gone so smoothly. What a lovely man he is.
At last both babies were brought back to me, swaddled and looking so tiny and beautiful. I latched both babies on and tried my hand and feeding them both at the same time. It was very challenging, but with the help of a gigantic nursing pillow we soon figured it out.
(Pam, my incredible nurse)
Within the hour Jack and Pete were brought up to meet their new sisters, as well as Liz, Callie, and Josh. It was great seeing the boys reactions to the twins. Peter was a little unsure about everything, but Jack was really desperate to get his hands on them right away.
Because I was the only woman in the ward giving birth that night the staff in the cafeteria sent up tons of food for me. So my boys, Ryan, and I all devoured the amazing food (it really is great at that hospital!) and then I was ready for a wee rest. The boys and rest of the family went home and Ryan stayed the night with me in the hospital. It was a long night, but thankfully the next day because we were all doing just fine my Doctor discharged us at 5pm Saturday. It was a really amazing delivery experience.
Olive Isabel Harris: 6lbs 10oz, 19 1/4 inches, born at 5:38pm.
Penelope Anne Harris: 6lbs 13oz, 19 3/8 inches, born at 5:58pm.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

WOW! So glad that everything went so well! Your family is darling!

Karen said...

Ok first of all I can't believe how completely tiny you look the morning you had the girls. I mean, yes you are pregnant but holy cow girl, Twins??!!! You looked like a million bucks. And second thanks for posting all your birth stories. I love hearing them. It's amazing how perfect your labor and delivery went with the twins. And such an awesome dr!!

kara said...

Gasp!!! So, I just left this comment in response to you comment on my blog:
@Leigh Harris, of COURSE I remember you! Your baby blessing was where I had an epiphany (still small voice whispering) that I was going to have very strong spirits (plural!!) coming to live with me, so I better get ready. Besides, it's not everyday I meet such a lovely Scot. :) Thanks for checking in on us. You had 2 more since I saw you last? How great!

Now, how did I not know you had multiples!??!! I wondered when you said 4 under 4. Wow! Congratulations! Welcome to the club of weird remarks from strangers, wondering what the heck you're doing, and joy, joy, joy! Please drop me a line if you ever need to laugh or cry about having all those little ones. What an amazing mommy you are.
My email: natural_readhead@yahoo.com