Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Peter's birth story

Peter was due June16th. When I found out I was pregnant with him it was crazy thinking that there was that slight possibility he could end up being born on Jack's birthday...it seemed so unlikely though. This pregnancy had been so much better. I was still very sick at the beginning, but I had been put on a medication called Zofran after my first appointment and instead of throwing up between 4-6 times a day it was reduced to twice at the very most. The months passed quickly, maybe because I was so distracted with taking care of Jack, but we were also house hunting. We were living in an apartment in Wilsonville, and I was seeing Dr. Schrinsky in the Meridian Park hospital in Tualatin. We closed on our house here in Newberg May 4th, so once again we were moving near the end of my pregnancy. Thankfully Ryan's family were living in Salem at the time (an hour away) and could help move us in. I decided that since I was so close to the end of the pregnancy that I would make the 30 minute commute to my hospital so I could stick with the same Dr. Well, after doing that 1 time with Jack in tow I decided that was kind of a nightmare and I talked to my Dr. about transferring to someone in Newberg. He recommended a friend of his, Dr. David Johnson.

I immediately thought Dr. Johnson was amazing and I was so glad I'd made the switch for convenience sake as well. Monday 8th, 2009, I went in for my weekly appointment and Dr.J said he could strip my membranes if I wanted to encourage labour. I agreed. It was so painful; I totally screamed. He had warned me it would hurt, but goodness, I wasn't expecting that kind of pain. Poor Jack was with me and looked horrified.
The Dr. thought there was a good chance I would go into labour that weekend, but if for some reason I didn't, we scheduled an induction for Monday 15th (Jack's birthday!).

Nothing happened at all that weekend and we had a wee get together to celebrate Jack's birthday on Sunday evening with a few friends we'd made since moving into our new ward. I felt sick with nerves all Sunday night and tried, but failed, to get much sleep. We were due to show up at the hospital around 7am and get the induction going, but around 4am I felt contractions begin as I lay in bed. I woke Ryan and by 4:30 they were 5 mins apart and I was ready to head to the hospital. Liz was staying with us to take care of Jack, so Ryan ran in to tell her we were heading in earlier than expected. In the car I was a little scared; I was so glad I'd switched to the closer hospital. We entered in at the Emergency entrance to the hospital because the main doors don't open till 6am. We were greeted by a worker who asked if we were the 7am induction. "Yes, but I'm in labour now!", I exclaimed. I didn't really want to dilly dally. Thankfully she grabbed a wheel-chair immediately, got me seated, and we were on our way to the maternity ward. I was already "checked-in" online, so everything went quickly. I was changed, in a nice private quiet room, and being checked by a nurse by a little after 5am. I was dilated to a 4 and completely effaced. Dr. J came in and talked to me while Ryan had stepped out for a minute...he hadn't met Ryan yet. I was monitored and left to progress for a little while. He would be back to check on me and break my water soon. I told Ryan to go get something to eat because I thought, based on my labour with Jack, that it would be a while before anything significant happened. He decided to wait till Dr. Johnson had come back and then he'd run out after. The day staff came on, which I was grateful for...I really wasn't too crazy about the nurse that had been tending to me. Trudy, my new nurse, was so lovely! She made me feel very comfortable and taken care of, but also gave Ryan and I our space.

By 7:30am Dr. J had returned; I was dilated to a 5 and he was ready to break my water. Ryan had gone to the bathroom, and came back into the room just before he broke the water. Dr. J turned around and said, "You do exist! I was beginning to wonder!" Hahaha!
The tools used to break the bag were a little terrifying, but it didn't hurt at all...all I felt was a huge gush. The nurse would call the Dr. when I got close to a 10, but for the time being he had patients to see in his offices on the other side of the building.
Ryan ran out quickly at this point to grab some breakfast and I was actually doing really well. Within the next half an hour I went from feeling fairly good to being in a great deal of pain with each contraction. Ryan wasn't back yet, and that had me worried. I asked for an epidural, but the nurse told me that at this point it may not be effective because I was dilating so quickly. I told her I wanted to try anyway. After I was given the epidural, Dr. J was called back in because I was at a 10. I honestly couldn't believe how quickly it had all happened compared to Jack's birth. Ryan came into the room looking very wide-eyed. He was shocked how quickly things had changed since he'd left. The epidural wasn't kicking in at all and so an oxygen mask was placed over my face as I struggled through each contraction. The anesthesiologist stood on my right and said "sorry" as he tried to numb my pain by injecting more medication. Ryan stood on my left side holding my hand. I felt so breathless even with the extra oxygen.
As I began pushing suddenly the epidural broke my pain. The nurse, Trudy, and my Dr. had to tell me when to push...I really couldn't feel much of anything. I didn't like that I couldn't at least feel the pressure of the contraction, but I'd take it. Peter was facing down as he came out and had to be turned, but after half an hour of pushing he was out (we had decided on his name just a few hours before...it hadn't ever been on our name list, but Ryan suggested it as one he liked a lot and I really did too)
.
Dr. J asked Ryan if he wanted to cut the cord, but he really didn't. I got a brief glimpse at my wee handsome guy and then Peter was taken off to be cleaned and weighed, etc. Ryan spent a few minutes over with Peter and then came over to make sure I was doing okay. Dr. Johnson brought Peter over to Ryan and I swaddled and clean. He had a tiny bit of bruising on his forehead, but he was so perfectly sweet.
(Nurse Trudy)
Liz brought Jack, the birthday boy, up to the hospital an hour or so later. When he walked in the room and saw me in the bed he backed away and began to cry a little. It broke my heart! I could tell he was very confused and he looked worried too. He has always been such a sensitive wee boy. After a few minutes of hiding behind the curtain in the room he came around and jumped into the bed with me. That very morning presents had arrived from my parents in Scotland for Jack, it was such perfect timing! Jack opened the presents and cheered right up...due to the fact there was lots of delicious chocolate inside and wee car toys. Ryan handed me the baby and Jack and I looked at his new baby brother together...it was a lovely moment.
I stayed in the hospital 2 nights, only because I thought it might be nice to have a little longer with just the baby. Jack was in good hands with Ryan and his mum.
Peter Chris Harris: 8lbs 11oz, 21 inches, born at 9:25am, 15th June, 2009

No comments: