Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dear Jack,

I wanted to write you another letter, hopefully this can be an annual thing, recording a little about how you are at this ripe old age of five.  Last year you started Kindergarten! I couldn't really wrap my head around the fact that you were old enough to go already.  I was feeling quite nervous about the whole thing and although you seemed a wee bit overwhelmed too, you were also so excited when I showed you your new school and we talked about all the things you would do there.  
Your teacher, Mrs. Haupt, is our Bishop's daughter in-law.  She is just so lovely, and kind.  You are very fond of her and have made great wee friends; Henry, Mason L., Christopher, Andy, and Nesta, you talk about these boys a lot!  I was so worried about how I was going to manage picking you up from school when I had your wee sisters and brother to juggle too, but you solved that problem for me after the first day of school when you told me you wanted to start riding the bus!  I was scared to let you, but we tried the very next day (only on the way home) and you have rode it ever since.  I was so proud of you.  I couldn't help but get a wee bit emotional watching you come off that bus with your big, massive backpack bouncing on your shoulders.  You are growing up so quickly. 

 Recently, your Dad and I worked with you on your numbers and now you can count to 100.  It was overwhelming for you at first and you complained that you'd never reach your goal, but you persevered and now you have set yourself another goal, but in reading. Nice job, wee guy!   
Working on an art project is still your favourite past time at home and in school.  You tell me about your art work at school and you wish I could be there to see what you're doing.  It's great to see you so passionate about something that I also love.  

You still have a very close friendship with your brother, and always shout, "Peter, I'm home!", the second you set foot in the house.  He loves you so much and misses you when you are gone.  Your favourite games to play together right now are "Jake and the Neverland Pirates"(you like to be Captain Hook), Batman (you like to be Joker or Bane), Lego Batman on the Wii and Toy Story 3 on the PS3 with your Dad and Peter.  I've noticed that you really like being the villain! Haha.  It's funny because you are generally such a gentle and sensitive wee boy.  
Your wee sisters adore you as much as Peter.  They look to you for help when they need a "footy" up on something, and follow you around like you're the Pied Piper.  I see their wee faces light up with such excitement when the school bus arrives at our house, and when they see your arms open to wrap them up in a hug.  You are the great big brother I never had, Jack!  I always wanted a big brother just like you.  

I hope we always remain close friends.  You are eager to tell me if you made any mistakes at school or if you accidentally hit someone on the playground as they ran past you.  What an honest soul you are!  You have a hard time keeping anything from me and I really really hope that also continues! haha.  

At church your teachers are again Sister Dibble and Sister Yates; you like them both very much.  And, although you still don't really care for church clothes or actually going to church that much, you always seem to have thoroughly enjoyed yourself when we see you at the end. 
Joey Stock is still your greatest friend bar Pete.  Sometimes I think you'd rather live at his house! ha.  But I'm so very glad you have such a wonderful and fun friendship with him; I love watching you two interact and laugh together.     

I love you so much, Jack, and can't tell you how proud you continue to make me.  I love being your mum! 
-Squeeze hug, Mum x 

No comments: