Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Homesick





Last week I was able to spend time with my younger brother and childhood friend. This is their second visit to the states in the last 9 months. This time they decided to venture off to California for a week and a half before spending the last week of their holiday back in Utah. Every time someone from home to comes to visit I am thrilled beyond belief. I am STILL homesick. I just can't seem to shake this utter heart-wrenching feeling I have when I think about the fact that I won't live in Scotland ever again. Poor Ryan! I wonder sometimes how he puts up with me. I don't walk around perpetually grieving for my homeland, but I do well up from time to time and have a wee cry. When this happens I try so hard to stop myself quickly and refocus. I wonder sometimes how my life would have turned out if I hadn't come to BYU. Yes, I would probably still be in Scotland, but would I be living such a happy life? Who knows. But what I do know is that I am so eternally grateful for the decision I made to come over to the States. Ryan is incredibly good to me. I feel so lucky to have him as a best friend and to have a lifetime and more to spend with him. And then there is that wee beauty, Jack. Becoming a mother is indescribable. I feel like now, more than ever, I have a purpose for being.
So ultimately, yes, I am still incredibly homesick for Scotland, but I couldn't ask for a more loving wee family to comfort me and make me remember home is where your family is.

1 comment:

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Oh Leigh! I am sorry, I can't really imagine living so far from family. But Jack is so great and you are a great mother. I'm glad your brother got to come visit :)